Date(s) - Oct 11, 2014
6:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Columbia University Faculty House
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: 2014 MWAPE PEER AWARDS
Honoring Africans around the world who have excelled in their respective fields. Mwape Peer Awards is a symbol of Excellence!
(New York, NY) – The 5th Mwape Peer Awards will again honor the individuals in Africa and the diaspora who have played pivotal roles in their communities at a ceremony to be held at Columbia University in New York City, USA. Nominations are now being accepted and will be accepted up to midnight July 31st, 2014 New York time. Winners are selected by the Selection Committee of Peers (Experts) reflecting the significant roles they have taken in their respective fields. Please, email your nominations to: email@example.com
Outstanding individuals can be nominated in one of the following categories:
- Author: Author Award honoring an influential writer whose published book has an impact on lots of people.
- Banking: Bankers Award honoring an influential and inspirational individual in the banking sector.
- Diplomat: Diplomat Award honoring a member of the diplomatic corps who has shown extra ordinary excellence in diplomacy.
- Economics: Economist Award honoring an economist who combines academic recognition with active participation in public policy.
- Education: Teacher Award honoring exceptional men and women in the teaching profession. Good teachers are critical to a strong school system.
- Engineering: Engineering Award honoring exceptional achievement through innovation in any field of engineering (civil, electrical, mechanical, sanitation, water, chemical, etc.)
- Entertainment: Entertainment Award honoring an outstanding entertainer in radio, TV and movie industry.
- Entrepreneur: Entrepreneur Award honoring an outstanding individual not only for his/her superior ideas, but also for their clear potential to grow small businesses in their communities using available resource.
- Law: Lawyer Award celebrating the distinguished career of an individual whose world class practice and commitment to law is an inspiration to the rest of the legal profession.
- Leadership: Leadership Award for showing extra-ordinary leadership skills in any field.
- Professional: Professional Award honoring professional excellence among scholars, authors, musicians, project managers, architectures, lecturers, nurses, etc.
- Media: Journalist Award honoring a journalist who through his/her work contribute to a better public understanding of the benefits of information communications in today’s world.
- Medicine: Physician Award honoring clinical physician who consistently achieve high standards in the practice of medicine by finding innovative ways of delivering quality medical care despite budget constraints. Is looked upon as the role model by peers and a valuable resource.
- Research: Research Award is intended to foster the development of promising investigators in any field.
- Talent: Rising Star Award honoring exceptional accomplishments by persons 30 years old or younger in any field.Nominators are encouraged to:
* Focus on the individual. Mwape Peer Awards recognizes outstanding contributions by individuals, not groups or projects.
* Focus on the impact. Explain how a nominee’s work made a significant difference, either in the organization or the community at large. Do not nominate someone for simply doing his/her job. While personal achievement is great, consider the impact on society.
* Focus on recent achievements. Mwape Peer Awards is not a lifetime achievement award.
* Look for the unsung heroes. Keep an eye out for an individual who, without the benefit of visibility or influence, made a difference through his/her creativity, energy and sheer tenacity.
Other activities at the awards ceremony includes a fashion show by New York based Modeling Agency WM Help Foundations and a Dinner Dance. We are also working with the Nigerian Movie Industry as well as African Comedians including Ugandan queen of comedy Anne Kansiime who has been nominated in the entertainment category and members of the African diplomatic corps.
For a day of networking and celebrating each other’s achievements both at home and in the diaspora, all nominees will be invited to join us at the Awards ceremony to be held at Columbia University Faculty House, 64 Morningside Drive, New York, NY 10027, USA on Saturday, October 11, 2014.
Please find “Mwape Peer Awards” and LIKE us on facebook.